Halloween Safety Tips
With Halloween just around the corner, the instructors at Empire Martial Arts Studio wanted to give everyone a few tips to make sure your holiday is as safe and fun as possible.
For the trick-or-treaters:
- Don't eat any candy before your parents check it!
- Make sure your parents have a visual on you at all times, be sure not too walk to far ahead of your parent or guardian.
- Make sure to look both ways before crossing any roads! Cross the street at corners if possible!
- NEVER go into a stranger's home, no matter what!
- Don't carry around fake weapons which look realistic! You don't want a police officer accidentally mistaking it for real.
- Avoid wearing dark colored costumes at night. Wear bright colors or attach reflector strips to your costume so cars can see you at all times.
- If possible choose face paint over masks. Masks can obstruct a child's vision.
- Always use the buddy system. Not only is trick-or-treating more fun with friends but it is safer!
- Don't text while walking! You wont be able to see where you're going.
- Make sure to put a flashlight in your candy bag! Not only can it be used to see at night when it gets dark, but it can also be used for protection.
- Avoid trick-or-treating at homes with no outside lights on.
For the Parents:
- Make sure to drive extra slow! You don't know when or where someone could run in front of your car.
- Make sure to enter driveways extra slow, looking for any potential trick-or-treaters.
- Be sure to remove any items on your steps or front porch children could trip or fall over.
- Be familiar with your trick-or-treating route. Avoid unknown areas if possible.
- Set up a location for you and your child to meet if you were to be separated.
- If you are allowing trick-or-treaters at your house, leave outside lights on to make your home feel more welcoming.
Most importantly though make sure to have lots of fun and grab as much candy as possible!
-The Empire Martial Arts Studio Family